Frank Scafella (B.A. West Virginia University, 1964; M.A. & Ph.D., The University of Chicago, 1968, 1972) taught writing and literature in the English Department at WVU for thirty years (1969-1999). He served on Morgantown City Council for sixteen years (1991-2007) and as Mayor of Morantown for four years (1998-2002).
Now retired from WVU (1999) and from Morgantown City Council (2007), Frank continues to serve on the Morgantown Utillity Board (2009-present), the Fairmont-Morgantown Housing Authority Board (2009-present), and as a Life Member of the West Virginia Botanic Garden Society & Board (2002-present). He was appointed Executive Director of the Campus Neighborhoods Revitalization Corporation on April 15, 2013.
Frank is a native of Morgantown (b. 1935). He dropped out of high school in 1952, then joined the U.S. Marine Corps in January 1954. He served 6 years, 3 months, and 5 days on active duty. His duty stations include Opa-locka Marine Air Station (Miami, 1954), Kaneohe Bay Marine Air Station, Hawaii (1955-56), Marine Security Guard School, Quantico, Va. (1956-57), the U.S. Consulate in Casablanca, Morocco (1957-58), the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi, Libya (1958-60), and at Camp Lejeune, N.C. where he was honorably discharged from the Marine Corps in March, 1960. He began his undergraduate studies in English & Art at WVU in June, 1960. Admission to WVU was granted in that Frank had earned his high school equivalency diploma by passing the GED exam while stationed in Hawaii.
One additional biographical item pertinent to Frank's appointment as Executive Director of the Campus Neighborhoods Revitalization Corporation. In the mid nineties, Morgantown City Council approved a proposal by WVU to implement a redesign of Grumbein's Island as a pedestrian plaza in front of the Mountainlair. The project was featured in the WVU Magazine in 1998. It came to the attention of William Hudnut, Director of the Urban Land Institute, who invited Frank to make a presentation on this town-gown initiative at a conference at Ohio State University in the fall of 1998. At that conference Frank found, on a table in the conference hall, a book that laid out the formation and mission of a collaborative initiative between Ohio State University and the City of Columbus, Ohio. It was called "Campus Partners for Community Urban Redevelopment", an initiative of Ohio Sate's President, E. Gordon Gee, in 1995. Frank brought the "Campus Partners" book home with him to Morgantown where it came to serve as the model for the collaboration between WVU and the City of Morgantown in the formation of "Campus Neighborhoods Revitalization Corporation" (2002), nicknamed "Sunnyside Up." Ironically, E. Gordon Gee is a former (and now interim) President of WVU.
CNRC is proud to be working with the City of Morgantown and WVU to guide Sunnyside to a new Urbane style of life. Beechview Place, Jones Place and University Place--each is or soon will be featured on this web site--are primary examples of the housing and related infrastructure that supports this new Urbanity, a lifestyle promised by CNRC to other WVU Campus Neighborhoods in time.